Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I guess it's time...

I've been dying my hair platinum for 5 years now and I really love it because it's such an unnatural color, it really stands out which is one of the reasons I love it so much. For the past year or so I've been telling Eric that I'm only going to go platinum ONE more time, then I'll start doing a more natural color. But each time that point comes along... I just can't bring myself do actually follow through and I end up just continuing to go white.
The prospect of having a more natural hair color is a little scary for me because I feel like I'm surrendering to getting older... if that makes any sense at all. Having white hair is something I can do that makes me feel and look like I'm I'm still hip and young. I get compliments and questions about it almost daily from people because it's such a weird unnatural hair color. For me to have normal hair will make me feel like I'm blending in to society and will have nothing that stands out anymore. I'll look like any other mom out there. I'm just not ready!

But the decision has been made for me I suppose. I once again dyed my hair last night and my poor strands have had enough! Bleaching and toning hair is one of the worst things you can do as far as the integrity of your hair. It weakens it and LOTS of it falls out simply because it breaks off or is too damaged to stay connected. My hair looks awful when it's wet because it's so far gone. But with alot of tender love and care (and gobs of product) my hair looks super cute once it's dried, straitened and smoothed out. You'd never know after I fixed it up just damaged it really is.
But yesterday was the last straw. My hair gave me the ultimate sign of being finished with bleach... it melted together! At the nape of my neck was a chuck that fused itself together. I've bleached my hair into oblivion! Fortunately because my hair is in such bad shape, I was able to simply pull lightly on that chunk and the whole thing pulled right out without any problems (scary huh???) A smaller chunk also melted in the very front of my face and when it fell out, it gave me nice bangs...

Okay I get it! No more bleach! I'll succumb to normal hair, I really don't have a choice. One more time with bleach and I'm afraid I'll be bald! It's been a fun run but my youth is truly over! I'm going to go cry now over the loss of my funky youthful hair. Although I do look forward to having strong healthy hair again that I don't have to spend an hour on every morning.

2 comments:

Em said...

Well, as I recall, when Eric fell for you, you were a stunning red head. I'd say you don't have to worry about standing out in a crowd no matter what your hair color is.

I do sympathize, though. For the last several years, I've dyed my hair the standard Monahan girl dark, dark brown. I used to love having lighter brown hair with highlights, but the upkeep was too expensive to justify and the dark covers my greys better. At least you don't have to worry about that yet, ha!

Bell said...

And at least you guys can DO something with your hair! I still have this ridiculous frizzy mop that I've had since I was like three!

I'm actually really excited to see what you do with it! :)