Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Neat things

Okay, so our new windows were installed a few days ago. They look so... NEW and WHITE! I love them!! I was joking with hubby about how clear everything looks outside now. He said it's like having HD windows, LOL!

A neat thing happened today! I was cleaning the master bedroom before school started. Belle and Pinky were in the school room doing something. Belle kept telling me not to come in. She usually does surprise crafts in there and wont let me see until they are done, so I figured they were doing a craft in there. WELL, she finally called me in there, and she was beaming! She hands me a stack of papers. I look through them and realized they were all of todays work!

She had gone through all her school books for each subject and carefully ripped out the pages for todays lessons (I have the pages marked each day where we are) and did them all! She had 3 pages of math done, she'd done her calendar work, she's done 2 pages of grammar, plus another enrichment activity from the other grammar book we use (she'd READ the lesson herself and did the student enrichment activity at the end of the lesson!!), then she did some pages in her spelling book, she'd read two books to Pinky and practiced her reading. The only thing she didn't do was her history (because that's kept in a different spot from the rest of her books).

She was SO proud and I was really dumbfounded (in a good way). She really shocked me with her ability to find each lesson book, find the right page lesson we are on, then tear out the pages and do the assignments! Granted, there weren't any lessons given by ME obviously... but I think this speaks volumes for where she is in terms of learning. By the way, after checking her papers she scored 100% on them all!

Homeschooling can be challenging sometimes, but it's these little things that make me realize that it IS working! I'm not just completely wasting my time. She IS learning and growing in the right direction!

Pinky too is REALLY starting to want to do all that Belle does. Luckily I have several workbooks that Pinky does. Although she's only 3 and so the only thing she does in them is scribble... but she likes to 'think' she does school work too. I have a binder for her that I keep all her 'school papers' in.

Anyway, thought I'd share that small victory!

4 comments:

pdore said...

It doesn't sound like a "small" victory at all. It sounds like you're doing a great job!!! Congratulations & happy holidays to all of you!

Anne said...

You go girl! What a little smartie you have on your hands! WOW!!

Rachel said...

What a fulfilling experience! Somedays homeschooling is so fantastic like that, they mostly make up for the horrible days. :)

Lisa said...

I am still so amazed that you have the patience for homeschooling! It sounds like you are doing a great job! You have such smart little girls!