Monday, September 8, 2008

The stupid life of Wasps...

It started out normal enough. We went to church... in fact today for the FIRST time ever Belle got up and spoke in Sacrament meeting! It was super cute, this is what she said (well first she breathed really hard into the microphone) "I love Jesus and I know that Jesus always loves me too... Amen" Everyone thought it was cute! Hubby went and sat with her then walked her to the podium, but everything Belle said was her own! I gave her a piece of candy when she got back to her seat!

But all that seemed a bit overshadowed by the following events later that night. Belle had a friend over and they were playing happily, these two get along really well. It was about 6pm and I thought it would be fun to walk down to the lake in the back of our house. It's a short 3 minute walk through a path in the woods. I take my kids and the dog there all the time. Loki LOVES LOVES LOVES swimming, so it a great place to go use up some energy while the kids play in it too. I decided to take my two kids plus Belles friend.

It was fun at first, Loki swam all over, Pinky played on the edge of the water, Belle and her friend went off a bit to climb on a huge log. I was listening to them talk and play and it was really really cute! Until Belle just started to SCREAM bloody hell and cover her eye, her friend just stared at her... until SHE started screaming as well! Then belle started screaming again, and they both were running around screaming. I saw hundreds of wasps all over them, all over their clothing and hovering over them. I ran over there to yank the two out of the swarm (I'm shocked I didn't get stung!) The bees remained on their clothes though even after we ran away from the pack. They continued to scream and run in circles, clutching various parts of their body. Belles friend just started running back down the path to her house, but I didn't want her to go home running and crying without me there, because I was supposed to be WATCHING her. So, I started to frantically get MY kids moving. belle was trying to run as well, Pinky was screaming (just because everyone else was), Loki was freaking out running back and forth). Finally the friends dad heard all the ruckus in the woods and came out to get his daughter, I didn't have time to say anything except "She was stung by a wasp!" because I had to run back and get screaming Pinky who by this time had stopped running and was just standing in the woods alone crying. Also trying to help Belle to the house as bees continue to sting her, and round up Loki.

By the time we got inside both my girls were hysterical, I put some stinger stuff on Belles stings and counted 7 of them!! The first one she got was right on her eyelid and it was all puffy and swollen. Then she had various ones other places, but 3 of them were in a huddle on the back of her thigh. We later found out that the bee was stuck in her shorts and it fell out (dead of course) when we undressed her. Here is the culprit!!


Hubby was out running errands and just arrived home at this point and took care of Belle while I ran back into the woods to find the friends shoe (her shoe had fallen off at some point in her running for home), I took bee killer spray with me and I found the shoe! So, I returned it to her house and talked to her dad. I apologized and assured him that's never happened before in all the hundreds of times I've done down there, they must has upset a hive! He said she had half a dozen stings on her as well. Poor thing!

Belle saw fit to call each one of grandparents to get proper sympathy, then after that she went to bed.
So, it was a crazy evening! bBelle seems to be doing better today although her eye is a bit more swollen then it was yesterday. Stupid bees!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good writing and excellent portrayal of the drama.

Love you babe.

Em said...

Poor little sweet pea! Finn said he s going to draw something she likes in a card for her - like some flowers. Maybe some pink roses. : )

Tami said...

That doesn't sound fun. I wish that I could have been there to hear her b give talk on Sunday. Did you kill any wasps with the spray when you went down?

Lynn said...

I got stung by a wasp today. Just one on my finger but it hurt like... you know. I can't imagine multiple stings in multiple places. My condolences...although I'm sure she is healed by now. Let's hope at least!