Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ear woes

Poor Naomi has had quite a difficult run with her ear problems lately. We got back from vacation and she developed an ear infection in her right ear. No big deal, I took her to the ENT who checked and said her right ear needed drops but her left ear was normal.

Well, only a few days after that appt. she was complaining about her left ear hurting. I thought I'd better play it safe and I started doing the drops in her left ear as well.

The right side cleared right up with the drops but the left side seemed to be getting worse. I took her in to the doctor again who said her left ear is indeed VERY infected in and around her tube. He prescribed an oral antibiotic this time instead of drops. A few days of that and still it got worse!

It got so bad that her ear was leaking pus! it was the nastiest thing I've ever seen! it was just literally dripping out onto her clothes. She had to constantly hold a tissue up to her ear. She also hurt so bad she couldn't lay on her left side or even touch that side of her face. She couldn't open her mouth very wide because it hurt, so I was making her smoothies alot since she couldn't eat.

I took her back in to the doctor a 3rd time, when she woke up one morning and her face was puffy. I looked up ear infection/puffy face on the Internet and apparently that's really bad! The infection had started to leave her ear and started to travel around her head. Luckily it hadn't started to go upwards into her brain yet (but that would be the next phase...). So I went to the doctor again, who then prescribed another, stronger medication.

It did get slightly better but she still was having issues, so back to the ENT we went. He said even though she has stopped dripping pus out, the tube is completely blocked and now needs to be unblocked. So, she now has a 4th medication to help clear out the tubes! Poor thing!

She starts school in 4 days and I hope it's cleared up by then! While we seem to be on the mend at this point, it did get a little scary there for a bit with the infection starting to spread.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Gross! I am giving my kids to you when they have problems.