Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fall Hiking

SO today I woke up to a beautiful fall day! I didn't feel like going to church (plus the kids and I slept in until it was too late to go anyway). So, we decided to have our own church (haha) and went hiking instead! It was a great day for it. A nice sunny, mild day.



Eric estimated we walked about 1.5-2 miles. The kids did really well. I was afraid they'd get tired and cranky but they didn't! Although they stayed entertained by little things like the walkie talkies, the occasional snack, and an attempt to free a backpack that was hanging in a tree about 25 feet up! We tried climbing the tree...
Here I am 'attempting' to climb the tree, it was alot harder then it looked.


We also tried throwing giant sticks at it, nothing worked. I guess we'll never know why that bag was so high up and what was in it!

Loki was in heaven, although he always is when we're in the woods. He chased sticks the whole time and ran back and forth between everybody.


Here are the kids getting their first taste of a machete. Eric showed them how to hold it and chop things with it. All kids love sharp objects.



Snack break:



SO today was a good day! After we got back to the car, Elle made the comment that she would rather do this every Sunday instead of church! Don't temp me...

1 comment:

Em said...

You guys look PREPARED. When we take the guys on their hikes, I always think we look like we're begging to be attacked by a mountain lion, ha! I used to walk up in Griffith Park by myself with Finn when he was a baby, dangling his little tasty baby toes out of his Baby Bjorn, but I saw a Coyote once staring at Finn's toes like they were appetizers and I decided maybe that wasn't such a good idea.

I wish we could take a Sunday morning off and all go hiking together!