Saturday, November 15, 2008

Holly Shrader

I found out today that a dear friend of mine died Friday afternoon. She was in my ward for several years. She was my age (27), married and had a daughter the same age as my daughter (6 and a half). Holly was diagnosed with MS a few years before I met her and actually led a very normal life. Until she had her daughter, then things went bad. Soon after the birth she became wheelchair bound and slowly over the next few years she got worse and worse.
When I first met her she was new to the wheelchair thing, and still very much herself. She could do everything she could before except bound to wheels! We'd go out occasionally with other friends. I hung out at her place and we visited. I used to cut her hair because salons weren't too accommodating. She was so so sweet! And would often get up in church and talk about how blessed she was to have MS because it gave her the opportunity to meet all of us and to see how much love for one another people really do have (she would say this because all her friends would help her out with household things that she wasn't able to do on her own) When she'd say things like that I would think "Wow, how can she possibly be grateful for this? It's completely debilitating and getting worse... yet she's grateful?" I can remember so many times thinking that very thing when she'd comment on how grateful she was for her life. What a strong person!

In the last year or so her condition just plummeted. Her eyesight got so bad that she would have to stand 2 inches in front of her for her to recognize you. She often forgot names even though she knew me (and others) well. Her speech was very slurred and she spoke and moved very slowly. She was in constant pain and all the drugs in the world couldn't relieve her of it.

Her family moved away in August (it was a fast move, because the opportunity came fast for a new place) while I was away on vacation. I didn't hear about it until I got back. I was a little sad I wasn't able to say goodbye. She didn't move too far though, maybe 30 minutes, so I was sure I'd see her again. Well, I never did. I just got the letter today stating that Holly has passed away peacefully in her home with her family.

Her last few months were the worst and I know she's in a happier place and I know she's not suffering anymore. I hope her little daughter Sarah grows up and remembers how much Holly loved and doted on her.

Rest In Peace

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Very sweet tribute, Ryann. I just found out tonight. I didn't know they had moved from Germantown. I too hope Sarah has memories.

Sharlene said...

What you said was very nice Ryann. I think you should write something about your memories of Holly for the scrapbook Linda is putting together for Sarah. Holly always spoke very highly of you to me.