Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The garden of Eden... almost

I have really enjoyed doing a garden this year. I've never done one before in my life. Dad made an awesome garden for me to use when he built our patio in the back yard last summer. It seems like the perfect thing to do! While I've enjoyed it... it hasn't been too successful! Of the 4 things I planted, only ONE has made it! I started out with tomatoes, beans, chives and flowers... only the tomatoes have lived, and they aren't even ripe yet! (although they ARE close, and when they are, I'll pounce on them!) I've learned alot and will continue to work at it until I have a thriving garden. (hopefully that will be this spring). Follow me to the front yard, and we need some major help! We have a spot for flowers, but the kids and the dog really enjoy digging there and playing, so we haven't seen too diligent about keeping it full of pretty flowers. But dad brought back several pretty ones this weekend to plant there. The kids and I attempted it this morning. Here they are with the flowers all ready and eager to help! I tilled the dirt first to loosen up the ground because the dirt here is mostly clay and rocks, and it's near impossible to dig a hole. (at least it is for me! Dad seems to be able to just fine... because he's a big strong man!) Here is Pinky helping me till...
loki isn't that helpful when he plops down practically ON the flowers! I did as much as I could do and the rest Dad will have to try when he gets home. I did pretty good though, I got 5 of the 8 planted and pulled all the weeds! So, success for us today!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Your girls are absolutely adorable! I love that first picture!

Chavah Kinloch said...

I am a terrible gardener! My Dad is great at it too. Tomatoes have been the only I've managed to keep alive for a long period of time as well. I have spring onions growing now though! Also, once upon a time, a cactus survived my care. :D
Good luck with the garden!

Tami said...

Looks like fun. You should try growing basil. The stuff grows incredibly well and you can use it in tons of food. Bummer on the stuff that didn't turn out. I wanted to plant some chives, but they were all out when I finally got around to planting.