Thursday, April 29, 2010

Activa... don't buy it!

I’m pretty brand loyal to most things and recently discovered why I’ll be more diligent about this self imposed rule. On a routine trip to the grocery store the other day I picked up some yogurt because my kids love it and it’s relatively healthy. I usually buy the Danimals or GoGurt. I wouldn’t touch those things with a ten foot pole myself, but the kids can eat 10 a day. The abnormal fluorescent colors make me nervous…


Upon going to grab my usual brands, I noticed that one particular brand was on a huge sale. The sale made the price nearly half of the kind I was buying. What the heck, we’d try a different brand this time! I picked up 4 cases of this yogurt. This yogurt also known as Activa had a nice natural color to it and actually tasted awesome. I had no qualms about eating several that first day. Pinky also liked it and had about 3 a day for next 2-3 days.

It was soon apparent why the store had offered this ‘yogurt’ at such a steep discount, they were trying to get rid of it because it’s side effects are awful, nobody would actually pay a normal price for it.

Activa, I found out (after buying it) has an intended purpose, which is to help your intestinal track in some way. Some way that is really bad if you have more than 1 a day. I was hurting that night and Pinky is too young to make the correlation between why she’s in the bathroom 20 times a day and the fact that she eats these yogurts like they’re going out of style.

Once I realized what was going on, I halted consumption altogether and slowed hers way down to about 1 every other day. I feel ripped off. I don’t want my snacks to double as medicine for my health track. I want my snacks to be tasty and (as most snacks are) not too good for you. To snack companies… Keep your medicines and probiotics out of my food! Now I’m stuck with all this yogurt in my fridge I’m afraid to eat.

2 comments:

Chris said...

bahahahahahahaha, not going to be buying Activa, thanks for the heads up.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry you had that issue, but that's exactly what Activia is designed to do. It's not a 'snack' that's intended to be fed to kiddos. The tv commercials and even the packaging are very specific to what you should be eating it for. But ya always hate for the kids to have to pay for our own mistakes! :)Hope their feeling better now!