Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring Break!

This has been a really fun week. Last year, I was homeschooling at this time so Spring Break wasn't too exciting and the year before that the kids were too young to notice. This year they are old enough to really understand and enjoy that they have a week off of school. I tried to stuff it as full as I can with fun things! It makes things easier when the weather is so perfect. This week has been in the high 70's and low 80's.

Spring is in the air! And you know what that means... Cherry Blossom time! This is PEAK Cherry Blossom season right now. The one in our front yard always blooms before any of the others for some reason, people always comment on how pretty it is. It also confirms to me that winter is indeed behind us when the blooms come out. Here's a picture of our front yard Cherry Blossom Tree! Unfortunately later this year we are going to have to cut it down! I'm really sad, it's been a source of awesomeness on our street for years but it's getting so big the roots are growing into our foundation. It's makes it hard to have grass when your yard it's one big knot of bumpy roots! We haven't had grass the whole time we've lived here because the tree roots take over the yard. Our beautiful tree is ruining our yard and house. it's bittersweet really.



Eris and I walked the annual Epilepsy walk in D.C again this year. That;s always fun, except it was FREEZING! It was in the low 30's and SUPER windy. However, as soon as the walk was over it warmed up to like 60 and has stayed there ever since! Go figure.



So, this fun week with the kids has included things like play dates with friends, fort building, sleepovers, doctor appointments (oh wait...). We spent a day in D.C museum hopping. I don't take the kids there as often as I should. I live 20 minutes from the nations capital and really should take advantage of it more then I do. The American History museum recently underwent a multi million dollar renovation, so we stopped and checked that out. I have to say I have fond memories of the 'old' museum and don't like one bit how they;ve changed it. They've taken out all the things that were memorable to me going as a kid.

It's interesting to me the differences in the kids that I noticed. Naomi was fascinated by the exhibits and really looked and studied them hard. She had a piece of paper with exhibits to find and she really clung to that paper and focused on finding everything on it. Where as Elle is more like me... it's cool to look at but she really didn't spend a lot of time looking at stuff. She's more hands on, which is why she loved the hands on science room. She really was in her element in all the experiments and craftiness of the kids science room. When Pinky went into the room, she could have cared less about all the stations. She found it far more interesting to crawl on the floor on all fours searching the room for little plastic beads that were scattered from someones broken bracelet I think. She had lightning focus and I think, found every bead in that whole big room! Here's a picture of the girls in front of the original Dumbo ride (notice Pinky is holding her paper!)


Another fun thing we did was rock climbing. There's a mountain here that has all sorts of natural rock walls and its really fun to climb! I call it a mountain though, because to our county it's like the closest thing we have! To those who live near 'real' mountains, you would scoff at our 1200 foot molehill!
I precariously balanced the camera on a rock to take this picture of us.


Then we stopped for a bit to have a picnic on the cliff. Notice the view behind us, it was really pretty...(for 1200 feet up, LOL)


Erics sister is visiting and the kids have several of their cousins here to play with so I'm sure we'll be doing something fun this weekend with them! I'm excited for Easter, I'll post pictures of my tye-dye eggs after I do them later today!

And don't forget Pinky is getting surgery first thing Monday morning. I need to stock up on ice cream and Popsicles.

3 comments:

Em said...

I love all these pictures! And your stories about the differences between the girls - that is so true and so fascinating to watch.

We really miss you guys. Come see the Dumbo ride in LA soon!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a busy week. You're an awesome mom to do all that stuff with them. I stopped by to see you three time this week, and you were always out!

I love your girls so much, and Pinky is in my prayers and on my mine today. I hope all goes well with her sugery.

Love you, Mom

Jeanie said...

Hi there, LOVE your blog. Where do you all live? I see the pics are in DC. We are in MD : )