Monday, April 19, 2010

Laziness vs. Coming to Terms with Reality

One thing that stands out more and more as I approach my 30's is my slowing metabolism. The wonderful genes I was born with that allowed me to eat whatever, whenever I wanted without consequence, are no longer as spry as they once were and I am now reaping the unfortunate effects of my lifelong sugar binge.

I look forward to all that goes along with getting older, being taken more seriously, no longer being lumped in with the societal misfits of 20-somethings. However, the downside being that my days of carefree eating are gone.

Time keeps chugging along and I get zero say in it. All I can do is drastically change my habits and perhaps work out harder

Along the way I’ve discovered some unpleasant things about myself. Laziness stands out. In my head I always have an excuse for why I don’t get things done or why I don’t follow through with tasks I need to do. But in reality, I’m just too damn lazy. I can’t sugar coat it anymore, though not for lack of trying. (Get it? Sugar coat! I crack myself up)

Laziness is a bad quality to have when you’re trying to be more health conscious. Working out and eating right takes effort and if I’m being honest with myself, sometimes I just don’t feel like it. So I don’t. After skipping a workout or eating cheesecake for lunch is when I instantly feel guilty. I know that what I have done (or not done) is a direct result of my being LAZY. It’s a quality I loathe in myself, yet haven’t figured out how to change. I suppose I could just power through it. The problem is, laziness is stronger than my desire to power through anything.

Procrastination is another loathsome quality I have. Sometimes to pacify my guilt about skipping the gym, I tell myself I’ll go tomorrow. Whatever I have neglected out of laziness, I will surely kick out the next day. Somehow in my mind, the next day consists of me suddenly not being a lazy ass anymore. Right.

I guess what they say is true; the older you get the wiser you become. Except by wiser, they really meant understanding the gaping-personality-flaws-that-can-no-longer-be-ignored-because-you-are-not-a-selfish-20-something-anymore. Getting old is harsh.

I’ve easily put on close to 5-10 pounds of blubber over the past year. This is when my journey of self discovery began, when I noticed the weight wasn’t being shed in its usual fashion. A lifestyle change is required but is hard when you’re lazy and procrastinate everything. This is really a catch 22 here, with the moral of it all being; if I can control and master my newly discovered problems, I can control and master my weight.

I have a few options going forward. Continue to ignore my problems, which will lead to disaster I’m sure, or tackle my issues head on, smashing them into the ground, and come up being a better person in my 30’s than I was in my 20’s, with the added bonus of looking fabulous again. I prefer the latter.

2 comments:

Bell said...

Yes, it was a HUGE shock to me whenthe weight started sticking instead of melting off with no work whatsoever. (We got lucky through our 20's, huh?). You still have great genes, though, and will have to work at it a lot less than most women. Plus, you are freaking gorgeous! ;)

Anonymous said...

At some point, you'll come back and read this and wonder what you were thinking. Laziness, as you describe it, is actually the challenging part of being motivated to move out of your comfort zone... or bed in this case for early morning work outs. Simple principle in life, IF it's immportant to you, you'll make time for it. It sounds more like you're being challenged with what's important: bed or gym, snacks or health, etc.

Being a smoking hot stay at home mom is hard. Want to switch jobs?

Love you.